COVID-19 message from the Chairperson of the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal
Update - July 15, 2020
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all parties before the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal (CHRT) are hereby advised of the following:
- Given the ongoing uncertainty regarding business resumption plans and the continued need for social distancing, all mediations and hearings that take place IN PERSON are cancelled until further notice.
- To minimize the delays resulting from the cancellation of IN-PERSON mediations and hearings, the Tribunal is holding virtual mediations by video and telephone and is prepared to proceed with video hearings, where appropriate.
- To assist our parties and their representatives, the Tribunal recently published a Practice Direction for Electronic Conduct of Mediations and Hearings During the Covid-19 Emergency. In every matter, the question of proceeding electronically will be determined, on a case-by-case basis, by the Tribunal member in charge of the case.
- If you have an in-person hearing or mediation scheduled between now and September 8, 2020 inclusive, the Tribunal will be in touch to discuss an alternative form of hearing or mediation. Mediations and hearings scheduled after September 8, 2020 are unlikely to proceed in person in 2020. Parties will be contacted in due course to discuss alternative arrangements.
- If you have submissions due for filing with the Tribunal, we ask you to continue working towards the established deadlines.
- All staff are working remotely from home. Please send all submissions to the CHRT via e-mail. Do not send mail, faxes or packages to the Tribunal office.
If extensions of deadlines are required, please contact the Tribunal at Registrar-Greffier@chrt-tcdp.gc.ca. The Tribunal Member assigned to each mediation or hearing will contact the parties through the Registry in due course, to explore the possibility of proceeding with scheduled events by videoconference or telephone, and where appropriate, to set future dates for same.
For further information, you may contact us by telephone at 613 995-1707 or 1-844-899-3604 or via the Office of the CHRT online form on this website.
We will continue to do our utmost to minimize disruptions to our service delivery and to update you as matters progress. In the meantime, we thank you for your understanding.
David L. Thomas
Canadian Human Rights Tribunal